Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It's All Becoming Real...

Now that I have planned out my entire capstone project, it's time to get to work. With the realization that I will need to be done with all these wonderful plans and ideas by MARCH 25! It looks like I need to get to work! I have to finish surveys, form a focus group, evaluate the results of these and THEN start on actually producing a video, creating a website, writing a news release, making a business card and flyer, writing a whole PR plan to reach RSU students and then, then I have to PRESENT it! So much to do, so little time.

Time management is something that you learn in college, or at least you're supposed to learn. I have always been the type to procrastinate throughout life, that doesn't mean I endorse it. This doesn't mean I don't do my work or do well on my work, I just work best under pressure I suppose, or at least that's what I keep telling myself. In THIS case, that is not something that is optional. I received an "A" on my prospectus 1, which made my confidence level rise! I now know I have great ideas, I just need to kick my behind into gear! Setting deadlines is most important in the project. Why? Well for obvious reasons, but also because the project isn't your only assignment! I know what you're thinking, "what else could there possibly be?" Well let me tell ya, there's a lot. Not to mention your other classes and obligations.

In my first blog I mentioned how I had discussion papers to write, well after those, there are MORE papers, and in conjunction with all the papers you're writing, you also had to assemble an online portfolio, so once you graduate and go on to gain your dream job, you can tell them how wonderful you are, and why you're work is FAB-U-LOUS! compared to others.

I know this may seem scary, and a lot to deal with, but as long as you stay organized, stay on your timeline, and take the TIME to do this, I think, and I say think because, well, I haven't passed the class yet, that you will be just fine.

I have found that taking the time to de-stress yourself helps a lot. I tend to get overwhelmed by all the things going on in my life, because like my mother, I think I can take on 100000 projects and obligations and succeed at them all. I've found that working out and spending time just venting to my friends and family has helped a lot with stress. I think the initial idea of "if I don't pass this class, I don't graduate" takes over our brains. Sometimes stopping to realize, you made it this far, you passed the classes, hopefully with good grades, you have done the projects, and this is the end, is motivating enough.

I know it sounds crazy to have a support group for a class, but my class has become my support group, we vent to each other, we help each other, and some of us...the Queen of Capstone...bakes delicious brownies for the class.

Always, always, always remember, you made it this far, you're going to rock this! And well if you don't there's always next year! Haha!

Hopefully the next post I can show you some examples of my work!

Until next time,
LB

No comments:

Post a Comment