Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Reassurance of loving my career choice

This is more of a thought piece rather than a check in.

Before I graduated high school I wanted to one day become a lawyer, once I graduated I had no idea what to do, but knew I loved art and photography. So, I decided I wanted to major in photography. My brain kicked in and I told myself, I wasn't THAT good at photography and I would never make a living just doing that. I then talked to my college adviser and she recommended that I major in communications. At the time I thought, why would I want to do that? She put me in an intro to mass communication class in order to spark some interests after I told her my hobbies. I loved this class and I immediately changed my major to public relations, but I still wanted to do something with photos. I loved editing photos and making posters and brochures, so I knew graphic design would be a good fit, little did I know that I would have to minor in interior design for that to happen. I then AGAIN changed my mind to advertising, thinking that would incorporate making advertisements which would have more emphasis on graphics. After switching majors, being unhappy with my minor and having a few minor freak outs, I realized this was not the school for me, I needed to go somewhere I could do exactly what I wanted.

Low and behold! RSU! I had submitted my transfer application, was accepted and immediately made an appointment to speak with the communications department. Upon meeting with the head of the department I knew I wanted to work in public relations but wanted to have graphics as a minor. My current degree, corporate communication and a minor in graphic design, is just what I was looking for, it encompassed public relations, advertising, social media skills and a minor where I could make all my ideas happen! The classes seemed to go on forever and sometimes seem pointless. That was until capstone came around.

Capstone made me realize that sometimes the classes I didn't want to take, I needed to. They taught me things I might not have needed at the time, but I definitely needed to produce my capstone project. What I really wanted to relate through this post is that even though the process seemed like a lot to go through and at some times I wished I had switched majors, capstone has made me realize I love what I am doing.

My dad once told me that if you're not happy in your job, change it. Don't pick a career for the money. After the first couple meetings with my client and the planning and beginning to produce everything, I have never been happier in what I am doing. Talking with the clients and seeing their face light up with the ideas you have suggested for their business and the final thing coming together as a whole, has been very reassuring that I am in exactly the right field.

Sorry this was so long this time, but sometimes it helps to reflect back and look at the path traveled, it was all worth it for me. I cannot wait to graduate!

P.S. Tiny Cakes and Truffles is hosting a student night February 26th with live music! Come! Bring your friends! It will be a fun night! More info to come soon!

Until next time,
LB

No comments:

Post a Comment